Skin Cleansing 101: Why Washing Your Face is Important
Washing or cleansing your face is by far the most important step in your skincare routine, though we often consider skipping it because we are pressed for time or figure it's not a big deal. We buy expensive skincare products only to rush the essential step of cleansing. However, just using a face wipe or splashing your face with water won't cut it. There is much more to washing your face in order to maintain a great complexion.
Taking the time to remove makeup and wash your face using a cleanser will lead to visible improvements with each passing day. Read on to understand why cleansing your face is the cornerstone of every skincare routine and why you should be setting aside the time (morning and night!) to thoroughly cleanse your face.
1. Do cleansers actually work?
2. Top benefits of skin cleansing
3. Other benefits of Skin Cleansing
4. 5 Steps to correctly wash your face
5. How often should you wash your face
6. What will happen if you underwash or overwash your face?
7. 8 rules to wash your face
How Do Cleansers Actually Work?Have you ever washed your face using soap? Did your skin feel tight straight after drying it? If you answered yes to both questions, you are not alone. That squeaky tight clean feeling isn't as good as we once thought. Soaps are traditionally made using harsh chemicals that chip away at our skin barrier, the body's frontline shield against harmful toxins and germs that could penetrate your skin and damage your health. Soaps are made using harsh chemicals and can disrupt the skin's pH level, pH stands for potential hydrogen and is a measure of how acidic or alkaline a substance is. Maintaining a healthy pH level is essential for protecting the skin against harmful bacteria, allergens and pollution, while maintaining moisture. Unlike soap, cleansers are gentler and more effective while causing no disruption to the barrier and the skin pH level.
Top Benefits of Facial Cleansing
When you think about what your skin is exposed to every day, cleansing your face morning and night just makes sense. Between sweat, pollution, and makeup, your skin faces a lot of external aggressors throughout the day. Daily cleansing helps remove the dirt, excess oil, and dead cells from your face. By removing all of these impurities, it allows your skin to absorb your toner, lotions, serums and moisturisers. Cleansing your skin is the first step in any skincare routine and offers a number of different benefits. Here are four reasons you should be using a facial cleanser every day:
• Maintain Clear Skin – Your skin produces sebum, a natural oily substance produced by your body's sebaceous glands that protects the skin from environmental damage. Even though sebum is highly beneficial to your skin, in excessive quantities it can react with the build-up of dirt on your skin, causing blockage of skin follicles and enlarged pores. It leads to bacteria penetrating the skin, resulting in acne, inflammation, and dull skin texture.
• Maintain a healthy youthful glow –Our skin ages as we get older but pollution and environmental toxins can accelerate the ageing process. Cleansing your face is one of the best ways to maintain a youthful glow and reduce dullness by removing unwanted dirt from your face.
• Improve skin barrier function – If you don't clean your skin properly, your skin will become irritated from daily pollution and prevent your other products from working. Without a clean face, active ingredients in your products can't penetrate your skin. By cleansing your face, you're preparing a fresh surface for active ingredients in your routine and ensuring your skin is more receptive to treatments such as masks, serums, lotions and more.
• Boost Skin Hydration – Regular facial cleansing followed by a good lotion can help maintain an optimal hydration level and combat dry skin. Dehydrated skin looks dull, rough and aged, but by cleansing regularly you can help manage the pH level of your skin and improve the overall efficacy of your skincare products.
Other Benefits of Cleansing
• Regular cleansing of your face keeps your skin looking healthy and radiant.
• Helps reduce the size of pores by removing dirt and grime.
• Prevents the production of excess oil.
5 Steps to Correctly Wash Your Face
Cleansing your face is the first line of defence in your daily skincare routine. There are a number of benefits to washing your face the right way. Here are the steps you should follow:
• Step 1 – Firstly, make sure you remove all traces of makeup from your skin using a makeup remover. Using a cotton pad, drop a small amount of makeup remover and gently wipe around your face to get rid of as much makeup as possible.
• Step 2 – If you do not use a makeup remover, always double cleanse your face to remove the excess dirt accumulated throughout the day. Double cleansing is the best way to ensure all makeup, pollution and sunscreen is removed from the day and your skin is ready to properly absorb your skincare products. Be sure to wash your hands before touching your face and use cold or lukewarm water as hot water will dry out your skin.
• Step 3 – Take a pea sized amount of cleanser to your palm, using your fingers, gently massage it into your skin using circular motions to emulsify the cleanser for at least 30 seconds.
• Step 4 – Use a warm face cloth to wipe off the cleanser from the face and gently pat dry. Do not rub or scrub.
How Often Should You Wash Your face?
We need to take care of our skin on a regular basis. You should always wash your face two times daily, once in the morning and before going to bed, regardless of your skin type and lifestyle. Here is a cleansing routine you can follow:
Cleansing your face when you wake up is important as it helps get rid of the impurities that might have accumulated overnight. Using a cleanser helps remove the dirt, toxins and excess oil from the skin due to the body's natural exfoliating process while you are sleeping. Washing your face creates a clean surface to start your day and allow for better efficacy of your other skincare products.
Cleansing your face just before going to bed is more than just a way to remove your makeup. Even if you do not wear makeup on a daily basis, washing your face is essential. Using a cleanser to wash your face allows your skin to get rid of the dirt and repair itself, resulting in healthier looking skin.
There are a number of physiological changes that occurs to your skin overnight. Impurities and dirt on the skin will prevent the skin from repairing itself as it requires oxygen. When you go to sleep without cleaning your face, you are depriving your skin of the vital nutrients and oxygen needed by the skin to regenerate. Your skin also loses a lot of water overnight, and if you do not wash your skin, any subsequent face creams or lotions you apply won't rehydrate your skin while you sleep. A night cleanse will allow your skincare products to penetrate deeper to work their intended magic.
What Will Happen If You Underwash or Overwash Your Face?
If you do not wash your face, the pores in your skin will become clogged and lead to serious acne. You will also notice dryness, severe redness and irritation from lack of hydration. It will cause your skin to look oily, dirty, greasy, and dull. You are also more likely to develop irritations that lead to touching your face, leading to more bacteria and breakouts.
That said, over-washing your face can cause tightness, irritation or dryness. It will also lead to your skin producing more oil trying to compensate for the Dryness. Again, it can lead to clogging of the pores and cause sensitivity requiring a gentler washing routine. Always aim to facial cleanse twice daily to avoid under or over-washing it.
8 Rules to Wash Your Face – Dos and Don'ts
Washing your face should be easy, but not everyone knows how to adhere to a proper cleansing routine. In addition, over-washing your face can also be quite harmful as you end up removing dirt, pollution, excess oil and makeup destroying the skin barrier.
There are many benefits of washing your face the right way. It will help remove the debris and dirt and prevent acne breakouts. Getting rid of the pollution from your skin minimises any free radical damage that can lead to premature ageing. Washing your face can also help remove any dead cells from your skin to expose healthier and radiant skin underneath. Gentle cleansing is essential as it will not cause more irritation than what is already causing it.
Some dos and don'ts of proper face cleansing for healthier glowing skin:
• Do Use Makeup Remover to Remove Makeup from Your Face
If you use light makeup, a cleanser should be enough. But, for heavy makeup, always use a makeup remover first in order to or better yet, take time to double cleanse.
• Pick the Right Cleanser for You
The cleanser that your friend is using might not be right for you. If you have sensitive or dry skin, it is important to look for a hydrating non-foaming or light foaming cleanser as they do not dry up the skin. CEMÔY Facial Treatment Cleanser is a great choice for those with dull and dry skin.
• Don't Use Hot Water to Wash Your Face
Always use lukewarm or cool water to wash and rinse your face. If you have sensitive or acne-prone skin, extremely hot water can cause flare-ups or facial flushing.
• Do Wash Your Face Twice Each Day
Always wash your face at least twice a day – once in the morning and once before going to bed. If you wear a lot of makeup or have slept in thick hydrating creams ( like the CEMÔY Inception Night Mask ), take the time to double cleanse. Washing your face before bedtime is critical as it will help remove all the dirt that might have accumulated throughout the day. Also, if you work out, make sure to wash your face after each workout.
• Don't Always Think You Need a Toner
Cleansers today are quite effective in getting rid of the oil and dirt, and toners might not always be needed. However, if you feel that the cleanser is not doing its job properly, you can use a good toner ( like the CEMÔY Miracle Toner ) to remove the excess oil and prevent the appearance of pores on the skin.
• Don't Rub Your Skin Harshly
Use your fingertips to give your face a thorough cleansing. Give your face a light massage every time you cleanse it, as it can stimulate circulation and enhance lymphatic drainage. You can also use sonic cleansing for extra-deep cleaning to remove dirt and excess oil from the skin's surface.
• Do Use a Clean Face Towel
Cleansing your face is more than just using a cleanser. Before you start washing your face, wash your hands thoroughly. Do not use the family hand towel that might have been hanging on the holder for several days. Bacteria from the towel can get transferred to your clean face. Use a soft, clean cloth or microfiber towel that is only used for your face. You will feel the urge to rub, do not rub. Gently pat dry your face and avoid rubbing it.
• Do Not Forget a Hydrating Lotion After Cleansing
After cleansing your face, and while your skin is still damp, it is important that you hydrate the skin with a light lotion. We recommend our CEMÔY Lotion which is perfect for all skin types. If you are using anti-ageing products such as retinol, apply it after the lotion as it will help minimise any irritation.
In a Nutshell
While you may be tempted to just skip the cleansing routine and head straight to bed, cleansing your face will greatly benefit your overall skin health and radiance. Caring for our skin is the most powerful weapon against anti-aging. Regular cleansing is one of the quickest and easiest ways to get a clearer complexion leaving your skin looking smoother and brighter.
If there is one skincare step that you should never miss – it is skin cleansing.